If you're looking to achieve a glorious skin glow and healthy complexion, Dr. Yalda Jamali shares her tips on how to make your skin the healthiest it's ever been. No matter what your skin type, nurturing healthy skin should be the basis of all beauty routines - but what does it take to achieve your best skin ever?
We get it, that high-definition flawless luminosity we see in glossy magazine spreads is naturally gifted to very few people (and most likely involves a lot of airbrushing). If flawless skin is on your list of wants, you are going to need to invest a bit of time, love and patience. If healthy skin is on your list of wants, put the kettle on, take a seat and read what skin health expert Dr. Yalda has to say.
How can I achieve healthy, glowing skin?
With so many products out there claiming to target different skin concerns, it can be difficult to know what products to add to your routine. Just like matching your foundation shade, skincare isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ approach. Whether it’s wrinkles, acne, pigmentation or dehydration, skincare concerns are unique. Try not to be swayed by a product just because it ‘suits your skin type’, this will limit your choice. Instead, prioritise quality and devote time to perfecting your daily ritual of applying your skincare.
Clinisoothe+ caught up with Dr Yalda, a cosmetic and medical doctor and expert in skin health for all her tips on how to boost your skin's glow, without all the expensive products and dermatologist trips.
5 tips to achieve healthy skin at home
1. Speak to a medical professional if you are struggling with your skin. With so many products on the market, it can sometimes be quite confusing as what is best for your skin type and skin concern. Sometimes you may even be using the wrong products or even the right products but in the wrong order.
2. Always use sun cream! Even on a cold grey winter day in the UK, wear your SPF. UVA rays are around 365 days a year, and they are the main cause of extrinsic ageing. Find an SPF that you enjoy using and one that sits under makeup nicely (if you wear makeup). La Roche Posay Anthelios Ultra light and Heliocare Oil-free Gel are my two favourites.
3. Always double cleanse, especially in the evening. Make sure your skin is cleansed properly will minimise clogged pores and breakouts. I like using micellar water as my first step and a gel cleanser and the second step.
4. Chemical exfoliation over mechanical exfoliation any day! Using chemicals such as glycolic, salicylic, lactic and mandelic acid will chemically exfoliate the skin. Opting for acids is not only more effective, but it also causes less irritation than scrubs.
5. Get into the habit of using retinol! Retinol is your best friend if you want to keep your skin looking youthful and bright! Use retinol in the evening, and when you first introduce it to your skin, start slowly and build up your tolerance. Invest in a good medical-grade retinol as most of the over the counter options are not strong enough to make a huge difference.
I believe the best approach to skincare is starting with a few products that are clinically effective and contain active ingredients. I suggest allowing products at least six weeks before deciding whether they suit your skin type or not and be prepared to go through a little journey at the beginning to see what your skin likes. Everyone is different, and not all products will suit everyone, regardless of how great the ingredients may be.
How do you recommend using Clinisoothe+ as part of a daily skincare routine?
Clinisoothe is such a versatile product that suits almost all skin types. I haven't come across anyone who doesn't like the product yet! I always recommend Clinisoothe to my patients who suffer from acne and rosacea and have seen very good benefits.
I recommend using Clinisoothe after cleansing, a little bit like a toner. I would recommend using as part of both the morning and the evening routine. Clinisoothe can even be used with products that contain retinol and acids and would cause irritation. I also advise that if you suffer from "Maskne" (acne as a result of wearing masks), to carry the Clinisoothe spray and apply during the day as well.
Remember: it’s never too early to start taking care of your skin! Investing in your daily skincare routine can not only prevent common skin concerns such as deep lines, hyperpigmentation, acne scarring, or other skin concerns that develop with life, but can also prevent costly trips to a dermatologist or aesthetician in the future.